Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Morning Adventures

Unexpectedly I woke up this morning at 6:30am. I went on a long walk because I had lots of time to burn before my carpool partner showed up. Luckily for me, after my walk I logged into work email and discovered that my carpool partner isn't carpooling today. So I jumped in my car and started driving to work. I made it to the I-580 to W I-80 merge and traffic was all messed up. And it didn't look like it was moving. (It's pretty normal for traffic to get all snarled through this area, but it's usually actually moving.) So, I exited and came home. Then I went down the block and had coffee, toast and jam.

I read an article in Wired about an interesting, if not eccentric, movie and commercial director. The only part of the article that stuck in my head was this line:
Wheezing on the chair beneath the windowsill is Jackpot, a French bulldog who receives a nightly knockout dose of Valium because he snores heavily yet insists on sleeping in the same bed with Morris and his wife, Julia.
This is such a bizarre thing, that it really overtook the rest of the content of the article for me.

So, I'm paying for my coffee and toast and the woman working the counter (who I've talked with before - she's really nice and a little spastic in a good way) asks me how the magazine is. So I tell her about this distracting line to this otherwise interesting article. And she decides to tell me a story.

Her extended family decides to go to Mexico together and then as the trip approaches everybody except her, a couple cousins her same age, and an Uncle drop out. She's in her early 30s, possibly late 20s.
This Uncle is the token annoying relative. He talks constantly and is in general no fun to be around. So she tells me that every night on vacation they made margaritas and put sleeping pills in her Uncle's drink. And every night he went to sleep at 8 or so. She said it ended up being a really good vacation.
I must have had a strange expression because she started explaining it more. About how it was fine, and I had to understand how annoying this Uncle was, etc.

Am I unusual to think that this whole thing is crazy? While she was telling me this story I kept thinking about how strongly I believe that under no circumstances is it every okay to give any drug or mind/body altering substances to anybody when they can't choose it.
There was definitely a point in my life when I dreamed of spiking my high school principal's coffee with LSD, but I never would have done it. It's one of those thoughts that don't go anywhere.

No comments: