Sunday, March 23, 2008

Urban Exploration - University in Berkeley

It occurred to me that I rarely do here what I do in a new place when I'm traveling or exploring. Basically, I just wander along for hours looking at everything I pass.
On Saturdy, a friend and I explored University Ave from Shattuck down to 4th Ave by foot.
It was utterly fantastic! Here's what I discovered:
  • Everything Spanish Tile - I found the coolest little store that was filled to the brim with hand painted spanish tile. They had a variety of sink bowls, and everything else you could image painted in that spanish tile style.
  • My friend brought me to this great little store filled with a large variety of cool screen print clothes. (I bought 3 T-shirst here, it's that good.)
  • I discovered that this art store has a large variety of pre-stretched screens, and lots of ink too for screen printing. Don't forget Blick Art - they have good screen printing supplies too. I hope to one day get it together and throw a screen printing exploration gathering.
  • I found this cool store with an Indian textile and jewelry import angle. They have a wide variety of things - specifically a good selection of bling stuff (jewelry and such with sparkly elements), lots of colorful scarves, metal vases, and homewares (like place mats and napkins in every color). This is a good place to browse.
  • I also found my new favorite Indian grocery store. Nuff said.
  • I found this huge everything Indian import store. Complete with the ornate chairs used in the big traditional Indian weddings and spices I haven't seen anywhere else. The upstairs book section was the best. They had every variety of Indian cookbooks that you could imagine. It's a lot like being in a store in India.
In finding these new places on Yelp, I'm surprised at how few reviews there are. These were well traveled stores, yet they aren't given much attention on yelp. I take that as a good sign. They're secret gems hidden in the University coridor of Berkelely. When I was asked Karma how long the store had existed, they said two years. The owner even mentioned that a neighbor came in recently and said she hadn't noticed the shop. And this shop has almost an entire warehouse worth of space, though you can't tell that from the store front.

No comments: