Friday, January 4, 2008

Stormy Weather

Storm details here.

I can hear constant sirens as various spontaneous accidents occur. My favorite is the 18 wheel truck that got "blown over."
The California Highway Patrol closed the eastbound Richmond-San Rafael Bridge after a gust of wind blew over an 18-wheel truck around 8:30 a.m. Story here.
I suppose I should have known something was up when Stella began insistently meowing at around 6am. She wouldn't stop for hours. I tried to comfort her, but she wasn't having any of that. I think that she was thoroughly freaked out by the storm. Our house is shaking and twisting with the force of the wind and rain.

I drove to work across the bay bridge because there were some important meetings today, but when I got there (after thoroughly getting wet after walking the two blocks from the car parking lot) there was no power. There were several blocks where huge trees had come down, and most stop lights that I drove near were out. I stayed at work about an hour and finally came home.

The wind on the bridge was so strong that it was a struggle to stay in my lane. There is so much water everywhere (and accidents too). I hydroplaned a couple times while driving. Thankfully most people are driving really slow.

I'm glad to be home!

In other news I recently bought a new laptop battery on ebay. It arrived in a couple days and it's so amazing to have my laptop work without being plugged in! I love it. (Previously it couldn't last even a couple minutes without wall power.) I've had this laptop for 3 or 4 years now, so it's not so surprising that the battery lost it's ability to hold a charge. I wish I had bought a new one earlier.

Well, enjoy the stormy weather.


No comments: