Monday, April 23, 2007

Thinking of Cherries

I went to the farmers market this weekend and rediscovered I really enjoy the experience. It's not exciting per se, it's a simple pleasure, an activity that links the memories of living in Amsterdam (were I woke to the sounds of the Albert Cuyp Market setting up every morning) with my life in quiet Oakland.
Indeed, I find myself daydreaming about what I might find the next time I go to market. Lately, I have a reoccurring daydream about cherries. As it warms up here in the Bay Area, the names Brooks, Tulare, Rainier, and Bing dance in my head. I can't wait for July when they come into season. I feel a little silly but I will admit that I have already bought canning jars to make jam in anticipation. In the early morning light, while drinking my first cup of coffee, I catch a glance of a leg of duck recipe that I have pined to the wall above the cutting board. Complete with brownish red finger stains from years past, it's ready to be of service when the first fruit of summer arrives with its glorious brilliance.

1 comment:

punkinpie said...

where is this market and when?