Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Summer of Crafts

This past weekend I went up north to the Oregon Country Fair. If you haven't heard about it, it's probably not what you're thinking. Basically it's the best and most creative artists that you've ever seen together in one place. Everything there had to be hand made in the USA. Most people camp out for the weekend and there was tons of music and good food. Like my favorite, vegan cupcakes. Many people wear costumes and paint their faces and bodies. The vast majority of food was whole food - not deep fried or processed in any way. And there was 20 some odd stages with music. There are around 40 thousand folks that come through there during the three day weekend and most everything you buy is in corn cups, or compostable plates. They even give you metal silverware that you drop back in a bucket that gets washed and given out the next day. It's like a mellower Burning Man in the woods. Very cool.

A week or so before that we went up north to Methow Valley for a wedding. That area of the country is what I'm guessing Lake Tahoe was like 30 years ago. It was remote, beautiful and cheap. We went white water rafting with a little over 30 people the day before the wedding and stayed in this way cute place. Fantastic.
And now I'm getting ready for Burning Man. It's my next trip of the year. I have quite a bit of work to do on my LED hoola hoop. And I have a bunch of ideas for some costume components that I want to make for this year also.

No comments: