Saturday, May 24, 2008

Hippy Skirt!

I have this skirt that I completely love (No, not that one pictured.)
It influenced me to make a similar one out of cotton (using fabric I already had!). The final product is pictured on the left.
In the process I learned how to correctly do shirring (pix). I only had to tear out the top shirred part 4 times before I figured out how to do it right. I was quite frustrated until I remembered that I have this sewing book - purchased for me in the 80's when I was just starting my sewing interest. It's an artifact from the past, much like my Betty Crocker cookbook that's in the 3 ring binder.
The steps for making this skirt was 1-serger the tiers, 2-gather each tier onto the one above it, 3-then add the rows of shirring to the part that sits on your waist or hips. When I was done sewing it, I dyed it some fun colors. This was a fun project. It brought back memories of my tie-dying days. (Did you know there was a time when I was making around 3 thousand t-shirts [and other items] a summer? - I basically made all the tie-dyes that this relatively large craft/fair vendor sold. As a result, I'm a pretty good tie-dyer - I have lots of experience, though it's starting to get a bit rusty now.)


This first picture is after I was done sewing it - and about to dye it.
Here's what it looked like after dying it, but before it was finished fixing.
And here's the back of the finished skirt. The first picture in this post is the front.

2 comments:

Yar said...

I like the color alot. Good job!

thuy said...

i would like one of these skirts! it would go well with my gay pride sweater.